Our students are doing big things.
Adrian College mathematics students have been nominated and awarded scholarships by the Michigan Council of Teachers in Mathematics, and students have completed internships as summer teacher assistants at major universities. Additionally, math students have had the opportunity to study abroad. Graduates have gone on to successful careers in teaching, industry, and continued study in graduate school.
About the Mathematics department:
- Offers the Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics with options in Elementary and Secondary Education, as well as General Mathematics
- Also offers a general mathematics minor and a minor for teacher certification; the general minor can be tailored to complement a student’s major program
- Prepares students for meaningful careers in education, industry, and the actuarial field; also provides sound preparation for advanced study at the graduate level
- Curriculum provides exposure to traditional topics in mathematics; students develop their ability to solve abstract problems and think critically
- Pure coursework fosters an appreciation for mathematical rigor; applied coursework develops quantitative and problem solving skills
- Interdisciplinary study is encouraged; students often complete coursework in the physical or natural sciences, while others pursue business or economics
- Faculty excel in teaching and advising; small classes allow for individual attention
- Assists students from other disciplines in developing the required mathematical proficiency for their respective programs
- Enables liberal arts students to gain an appreciation for the beauty and relevance of mathematics
The major in Mathematics encourages critical and creative thinking, requiring students to raise thoughtful questions and approach problems from multiple points of view. Mathematics graduates are expected to demonstrate proficiency in writing, speaking, and problem solving, enabling them to make connections across disciplines and remain open to new learning experiences.
The Department of Mathematics is committed to providing all students with high-quality instruction and support. The department serves students at all levels of preparation and with interest in various fields of study. Faculty members, with diverse areas of expertise, work with the common goal of fostering in students an appreciation for the beauty and relevance of mathematics.