Women’s Studies is an examination of women's contributions to culture and history and the study of links between culture and gender in diverse contexts. Students are encouraged to take classes that focus on women’s experiences and the construction of gender roles and identities from a variety of areas, including history, psychology, religion, English, communications, art history, philosophy, and sociology.
Goals of Program
- Introduce both male and female students to the often neglected contributions of women in the sciences, medicine, humanities, social sciences, and the arts.
- Explore the relationships between gender, race, class, ethnicity, and
- sexual identity and how these dynamics shape human experiences in different cultures.
- Think critically about the construction of gender and to take seriously the impact that gender stereotypes can have on society.
- Help students become more aware of women’s experiences so that they can be more sensitive and effective in professions such as social work.
Minor Program Requirements
The minor in Women's and Gender Studies requires the completion of a minimum of 18 semester hours, including the Women's and Gender Studies Core, PHIL 129 (Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies) and at least four other courses from among the listed electives.
Women's and Gender Studies Core (6 hours)
|PHIL 129||Introduction to Women's & Gender Studies (3)|
|PHIL 329||Feminist Thought (3)|
Women's and Gender Studies Electives (12-16 hours)
Choose at least four courses from:
|AHIS 232||Representations of Gender in Art (4)|
|AHIS 301||Topics in Art History: Gay & Lesbian Art (4)|
|HIST 221||History of Women in East Asia (4)|
|HIST 213||Women in Modern European History (4)|
|HIST 265||U.S. Women's History (4)|
|HIST 327||Women's & Gender Studies Leadership Seminar (4)|
|PSYC 216||Human Sexuality (3)|
|PSYC 306||Psychology of Gender (3)|
|RELG 310||Women in World Religions (3)|
|RELG 330||Advanced Studies in Bible (3)|
|SOC 202||Sociology of Sex & Gender (3)|
|SOC 308||Sex Discrimination & Violence Against Women (3)|